Tuesday 13 December 2011

We get by with a little help from our friends




So today was rather successful. After a bit of photographic creativity in the morning, I was invited to join my mum and her friends for lunch. I am extremely close to my mum and get on with her and her friends very well. They are an absolute laugh and there is nothing like a girls lunch to get you in a cheerful spirit. I sat across the table from four beautiful women picturing myself staring at my own best friends some 30 years later, reminiscing about the good and the bad times and finding a reason to laugh through it all. It’s wonderful what you can learn from someone older than you, someone whose been there done that and can give you advice on finding your own way through the world. Women especially, are such wonderful teachers, there is a delicate grace in which they pass down their knowledge and as a young woman myself, I am more than eager to receive all the advice that I can get. What inspired me most about today’s lunch was hearing these women’s stories and then looking at the way they have handled all their trials and tribulations. From cheating husbands, horrible divorces, cancer, burglaries and all the other hardships that come with life, they have still managed to maintain a positive spirit (with a little help from a bottle of wine and some gin and tonic) and have emerged from those struggles with a courage, bravery and strength that is an admirable quality in any woman. It was inspiring to see how even despite the hardships that they may be facing on a daily basis, they are still able to come together and help each other laugh about it all. That what friends are for, I guess, they lift you up when you are down and keep you there. They are aways there for you, even if you only see them years at a time, and are always happy to remind you of the beauty and strength that lies within your soul. The gift of friendship is a wonderful gift, one of the best, and I can’t wait to experience my life alongside the wonderful people I call my friends and sit across a table in 30 years time and remember what a laugh we all had and will continue having.  

“Friendship is like peeing in your pants, not everyone can see it but only you can feel the true warmth”

No comments:

Post a Comment